Kansas State (10-11, 4-6 Big 12)
Tuesday, February 11, 2020 | 6 p.m. (CT) | WVU Coliseum | Morgantown, W. Va.
WV Mountaineers TV
• Dan Zangrilli (play-by-play)
• Ayana Dunning (analyst)
TICKETS & PROMOTIONS
(304) 293-3541 or visit wvusports.com
Kansas State: Jeff Mittie (Missouri Western ’89)
Overall: 564-312/28th season | At K-State: 110-77/6th season
West Virginia: Mike Carey (Salem ’80)
Overall: 695-314/32nd season | At West Virginia: 407-212/19th season
PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP (based on previous game)
Kansas State (10-11, 4-6 Big 12)
G: #3 Angela Harris | F: #11 Peyton Williams | G: #25 Jasauen Beard | G: #43 Christianna Carr | C: #50 Ayoka Lee
West Virginia (14-7, 4-6 Big 12)
G: #2 Kysre Gondrezick | G: #5 Tynice Martin | F: #14 Kari Niblack | C: #22 Blessing Ejiofor | G: #30 Madisen Smith
Overall: West Virginia leads the series, 12-5
In Morgantown: West Virginia leads, 6-1
Last Meeting: West Virginia won, 74-63, on January 5, 2020, in Manhattan
Head Coach Jeff Mittie vs. West Virginia: 5-14
MANHATTAN, Kansas – K-State embarks on a two-game road trip this week, as the Wildcats travel to Morgantown, West Virginia, on Tuesday for a matchup with West Virginia at 6 p.m. (CT) in WVU Coliseum.
• Tuesday’s game can be seen on WV Mountaineer TV, as Dan Zangrilli (play-by-play) and Ayana Dunning (analyst) will have the call.
• K-State is the only team in the nation with a pair of players to average a double-double this season, led by senior Peyton Williams. Williams is averaging a double-double with 15.4 points on a .467 field goal percentage and a team-high 11.7 rebounds. In league play, Williams is averaging 15.8 points and 11.1 rebounds. In 2018-19, Williams was just the second Wildcat in program history to average a double-double in league play and the first since 2004-05.
• Redshirt freshman center Ayoka Lee joins Williams in averaging a double-double with 15.6 points on a .554 field goal percentage and 10.8 rebounds. In league action, Lee is averaging 15.7 points on a .557 field goal percentage and 10.5 rebounds.
Five names, numbers or storylines about K-State women’s basketball
1. Lee Evens Double-Double Mark
• 2020 Big 12 Freshman of the Year candidate Ayoka Lee tied the school record for double-doubles in a season by a freshman with 12. The mark was originally set by Kendra Wecker in 2001-02. Lee ranks tied for sixth among all players in school history for double-doubles in a season.
2. Lee Pacing Big 12 Freshmen
• Lee leads all Big 12 freshmen in scoring (15.6 ppg), field goal percentage (.554), rebounding (10.8 rpg) and blocks (2.9 bpg).
3. Williams on the Defensive
• Peyton Williams, a candidate for every national award including a finalist for the 2020 Senior CLASS Award, needs two steals to become the first player in program history with 150 or more career steals and 100 or more career blocks. The 2019 Big 12 All-Defensive Team selection is averaging 1.2 blocks and 1.3 steals this season.
4. Touching up the Paint
• Kansas State has registered 740 points (35.2 ppg) in the paint this season, which represents 50.1 percent of K-State’s overall point total. In the 2018-19 season, the Wildcats scored 928 points (28.1 ppg) in the paint which was 43.6 percent of K-State’s point total.
5. Board Work Not Boring
• K-State is averaging 44.2 rebounds per game and ranks eighth in the nation and second in the Big 12. K-State’s rebounding average of 44.2 would rank as the highest in program history, surpassing the current school record of 42.7 set in 1987-88.
Last Time Out
(2/1) Baylor 54, K-State 40 (February 8, 2020; Manhattan)
• K-State held Baylor to its lowest point total in five seasons.
• The Wildcats outrebounded the Lady Bears, 44-43.
• Freshman Ayoka Lee carded her 12th double-double of the season with 14 points, 12 rebounds and two blocks.
Number to Know
• Kansas State has 14 games this season with 40 or more rebounds.
• The 14 games with 40 or more rebounds this season are the most in the Jeff Mittie era at K-State.
• K-State has four games this season with 50 or more rebounds for the first time since the 2002-03 season (4).
At a Glance: West Virginia
• After opening Big 12 action with a three-game winning streak, West Virginia (14-7, 4-6 Big 12) has lost six of its last seven games including a 60-57 decision at Oklahoma State on Saturday.
• On the sideline, West Virginia is led by 19th-year head coach Mike Carey. In his time with the Mountaineers, Carey has achieved a record of 407-212 (.658) and captured a share of the 2014 Big 12 regular season title and the 2017 Big 12 tournament crown.
• On the floor, West Virginia is paced by Kysre Gondrezick and Tynice Martin.
• Gondrezick paces the Mountaineers with 16.4 points and is shooting .350 (50-of-143) from beyond the arc. At Oklahoma State, Gondrezick scored 13 points with three assists and three steals.
• Martin, a 2019 All-Big 12 First Team selection, is averaging 15.2 points.
Wildcats on the Road
• K-State has a 276-294 (.484) record in road games during the program’s 52-year history.
• Since the 2000-01 season, K-State owns an 116-114 (.504) mark in road contests.
• With a 76-72 win at Texas Tech on January 11, K-State tied the school record for consecutive Big 12 road wins with six straight.
• In his career in games played on the road, head coach Jeff Mittie is 152-172 (.469) including a 27-35 (.435) mark during his time at K-State.
• Overall in the 2018-19 season, K-State owned a 7-3 record on the road. The seven road wins were the most since the 2008-09 season (10). It was the fourth straight season K-State won five or more road games in a season and the most road wins since the 2012-13 season.
Cats Send Back Shots Under Mittie
• Under head coach Jeff Mittie, Kansas State has piled up blocked shots. K-State has sent back 881 shots for 4.71 per game in the 187 games. K-State has 140 or more blocks in each of the previous five seasons under Mittie.
• This season, the Wildcats are averaging 5.6 blocks per game (118 blocks), which ranks 10th in the nation. According to herhoopstats.com, K-State ranks 13th in the nation in block rate at 13.5 percent. K-State has finished among the top-35 in block rate in two of the last four seasons including 11th in the 2015-16 season.
• K-State set a 2019-20 season-high with 11 blocks against UIC on November 11. The 11 blocks are the third-highest total in the Mittie era and the sixth-most in program history for a single game.
Williams, Lee Strong on the Glass
• Senior Peyton Williams and redshirt freshman Ayoka Lee have been a potent duo on the boards this season. Williams (11.7 rpg; 233 rebounds) and Lee (10.8; 226) have combined for 459 rebounds this season (22.5 rpg). They lead the Big 12 in combined rebounds among two teammates.
• With 41 rebounds between Williams and Lee, they will become the fourth pair in program history with 500 or more rebounds in a season.
• Lee reached the mark first with a then school record-tying 20 rebounds against Oklahoma on January 25. Williams set the school record with 22 rebounds at TCU on February 1.
• According to Stats, Inc., K-State is the only Power 5 team this season to have two players with 20 or more rebounds in a game and one of just two teams overall (North Texas) to achieve this in 2019-20.
• The school record for rebounding average in a single season by a player is 10.4 by Carlisa Thomas in 1986-87.
• The school record for rebounds in a single season by a player is 337 by Tammie Romstad in the 1979-80 season.
Lee with Double-Double Fever
• Redshirt freshman Ayoka Lee has been a double-double machine at the start of her K-State career.
• For the season, Lee has 12 double-doubles and is the 16th player in program history with 12 or more career double-doubles. Lee is the sixth player in program history with 10 or more double-doubles in a season.
• With her 12 double-doubles, Lee ranks tied for second in the Big 12 for double-doubles and leads all league freshmen in the category. She is second in the nation among all freshmen for double-doubles this season and tied for 13th among all players nationally. She is one of six players in the Big 12 to average a double-double this season.
• The eight-time Big 12 Freshman of the Week recipient is tied for the school record for double-doubles in a freshman season. She is tied for sixth in program history for double-doubles in a season.
• Lee achieved a rare single-game milestone, as she became the first player in program history with 20 or more points and 20 or more rebounds in the same game.
• Lee placed her name among the K-State record books earlier this season, as she recorded four straight double-doubles from December 7 to January 5. She became the sixth player in program history with four or more consecutive double-doubles and the first since Shalee Lehning in the 2007-08 season.
• The center from Byron, Minnesota, is averaging a double-double this season with 15.6 points on a .554 field goal percentage, 10.8 rebounds and 2.9 blocks.
Source: Kansas State Sports