Oliver knocks off 2016 Olympian Frank Molinaro, while Dieringer rallies to beat Myles Martin.
Oklahoma State wrestling alums Alex Dieringer and Jordan Oliver won their respective weight classes in men’s freestyle at the Bill Farrell Memorial International on Saturday at the New York Athletic Club in Manhattan.
Oliver defeated 2016 Olympian Frank Molinaro 8-6 at 65 kilograms then Dieringer captured the 86 kilogram title with a 7-2 win over Myles Martin.
With the win, the former Cowboys earned a spot at the 2020 Olympic Trials next April at Penn State University.
Oliver grabbed a single-leg takedown at 1:43 then Molinaro’s step out cut the lead to 2-1 with a minute left in the first period. Oliver scored an identical single-leg takedown off Molinaro’s right leg 13 seconds later to increase his lead to 4-1. Molinaro then forced another step out to make it 4-2 at the break.
The two traded step outs in the second period, with Oliver lifting Molinaro from the center of the mat and driving him out of bounds to increase his lead to 6-4 at 1:46. Oliver secured a takedown off a Molinaro shot attempt to take a 8-4 lead. Molinaro forced two more step outs, but Oliver held on for the victory.
Dieringer took a 1-0 lead with a passivity point as Martin didn’t score while on the shot clock, but Dieringer then was taken down late in the first to trail 2-1 at the break. Dieringer made it 2-2 with another passivity point with Martin leading on criteria. Dieringer dumped Martin on his head for a takedown and two more points for back exposure. Martin’s corner challenged the exposure points, but the call stood and Dieringer was awarded a point for the failed challenge. Dieringer held off Martin for his second straight Bill Farrell title after winning the 79 kg crown last year.
Former Cowboys Eddie Klimara and Austin Miller (57kg), Dean Heil (65kg) and Derek White (97kg) also competed in freestyle. Klimara and Miller both dropped their first and only match, while Heil and White fell in the consolation semifinals.
Chandler Rogers was the lone former OSU wrestler to compete in Greco-Roman on Friday. He went 4-1 to take third at 87 kg., with a 37-second fall in the third-place match against Satoki Mukai of Japan.
57kg: Eddie Klimara, Austin Miller
- Klimara: 11-0 VSU (4:12) loss to Nick Suriano
- Miller: 7-4 VPO1 loss to Seth Gross
65kg: Dean Heil, Jordan Oliver
- Oliver: 10-0 VSU (3:31) def. Nicholas Dardanes
- Oliver: 11-0 VSU (5:05) def. Bryce Meredith
- Oliver: 5-3 VPO1 def. Joey McKenna
- Oliver: 8-6 VPO1 def. Frank Molinaro
- Heil: 10-0 VSU (0:58) def. Joey Lazor
- Heil: 10-0 VSU (1:34) def. Tony Tolbert
- Heil: 10-0 VSU (5:26) loss to Joey McKenna
- Heil: 18-7 VSU1 (4:16) loss to Bryce Meredith
86kg: Alex Dieringer
- 10-0 VSU (1:11) def. Ryan Loder
- 6-2 VPO1 def. Domenic Abounader
- 7-1 TPO1 def. Illia Arcaia
- 7-2 VPO1 def. Myles Martin
97kg: Derek White
- 6-2 VPO1 loss to Hayden Zillmer
- 5-4 VPO1 def. Kevin Beazley
- 7-4 VPO1 loss to Ty Walz
87kg: Chandler Rogers
- 10-4 VFA (4:06) def. Richard Carlson
- 8-0 VSU (1:41) loss to Aliaksander Kikiniou
- 6-2 VFA (1:29) def. George Sikes
- VIN def. Carter Nielsen
- VFA (:37) def. Satoki Mukai
VFA — Fall
VPO — Points without the opponent scoring
VPO1 — Points and the opponent scores
VSU — Superiority aka Technical Fall
VSU1 — Superiority aka Technical Fall with opponent scoring
VIN — Injury default
Source: Cowboys Ride For Free